Sunday, 13 April 2014
Stockport Sunday School Steps
These steps on Wellington Street are all that remain of what was the largest Sunday School in the world.
The Stockport Sunday school was founded in 1784. In 1805, £6000 pounds was raised from subscription, and a school large enough to accommodate 5000 scholars was built on London Square. The school belonged to the town rather than a particular church. The building, austere in design, was 132 feet in length and 57 feet in width. The ground floor and first story were each divided into 12 rooms; the second story was fitted up for assembling the whole of the children for public worship, or on other occasions; having two tiers of windows, and a gallery on each side extending about half the length of the building. In order to aid both the hearing and sight in this long room, the floor rose in an inclined plane about half way. There was also an orchestra with an organ behind the pulpit.
Despite the buildings being listed as a National Monument they were demolished around 1970.
Further information can be found on Wikipedia.
A contribution to Shadow Shot Sunday and Inspired Sundays.