Thursday 19 December 2013

Signs at the White Lion


Since I posted yesterday about the White Lion I've discovered the photograph I took of the sign in November 2012.

I've only now noticed the remnants of a "ghost sign" on the building opposite. I'll have to get a closer look at that another time.

According to a leaflet about the "Stockport Town Centre Heritage Trail" it seems in 1815 the then landlord of the White Lion fired a cannon to inform the town's people of the British victory at the battle of Waterloo and at a "Wife Sale" in 1831, William Clayton sold his wife for five shillings to a J Booth. She was handed over with a halter round her neck.

A contribution to signs, signs.

7 comments:

  1. That is an interesting history and a lovely sign. Neat about the older sign too. I occasionally find neat stuff like that in older pics too that I did not notice in the first place. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The yellow accents on the lion really make the sign stand out. Interesting choices for firing the cannon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Wife sale"? Glad that times have changed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes..really, a wife sale? Hadn't heard about that...thankful for changing standards, hope my husband is thankful too ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love both signs, the present one and the ghost one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pub sign, but on the wall behind it is says, "Great Unberbank" What's that?

    ReplyDelete